You might be thinking it is too early to prepare your car for winter but right now is the best time to get it ready for the snow, ice and colder temperatures. You never know when the first ice or snow storm will come and preparing now can be a lifesaver.
When is the last time you got an oil change? It might be a good idea to get one before the first snow comes. You want your car to be running in its best possible state during poor weather. Here is a checklist of maintenance you should get done now:
- Check, change and top off the various fluids in your car:
- oil, coolant, brake, windshield wiper fluids (freeze resistant!), and transmission fluids
- Change out the various filters:
- air, oil, and transmission filters
- Get your brakes checked out. Are they in good condition? Icy conditions are easier to navigate with quality brakes
- All your lights (headlights, brake lights, etc.) – easy to replace and low cost, there is no excuse to not have working lights.
- Windshield wipers – if they are struggling to work in the rain, it might be a good time to get new windshield wipers for the winter
- Interior maintenance – with the terrible weather coming, it’ll be a good idea to get rubber, slip resistant floor mats (at least for the driver seat)
- Tires – You might consider getting winter tires to deal with the bad weather. At the very least, get them checked out for bad tread and make sure you keep tabs on your tire’s pressure. The different weather systems and air pressure can leave you with a flat tire even if there is nothing physically wrong with the tire. Your vehicle will handle better and you will get better gas mileage with properly pressurized tires.
Prepare an emergency kit:
It is always good to have an emergency kit in your car at all times but it is particularly important in the winter time.
Here are some items you should have in your winter emergency kit:
- a blanket or jacket
- jumper cables
- a flashlight
- a first-aid kit
- a small knife
- a couple of energy bars
- water-resistant gloves (your regular wool gloves will quickly get soaked)
- small snow shovel
- waterproof matches
- ice scraper
- a bag of sand
To schedule your next auto maintenance appointment before the winter weather hits at AAMCO in either Merriam or Kansas City, Mo., call us today!