Sometimes strange laws remain on the books because people forget about them. Sometimes nobody bothers to change them. No matter why they’re still in effect, you can still get tickets for disobeying these weird laws. We’ve put together a list of laws to be sure to follow when you’re in these locations, as weird or funny as they may be.
1. A windshield is optional, but not windshield wipers in Texas.
Sports cars and hot rods don’t need to have windshields, but all cars still need windshield wipers in order to register the vehicle.
2. Don’t pump your own gas in Oregon: it’s against the law.
Even though most people do pump their own gas, it’s illegal.
3. It’s permissible to drive against traffic on one-way streets in Alabama.
But only if you have a lantern in front of your vehicle.
4. Don’t jump out of a car traveling 65 miles per hour in California. It’s illegal.
While it’s definitely a bad idea everywhere, Glendale, California decided to put the law on its books.
5. If you’re in New Jersey, leave your hanging dice at home.
It’s illegal to have anything hanging from your rear view mirror in New Jersey, even if it’s a religious item.
6. You’re legally allowed to turn left on red in Oregon.
Oregon drivers are allowed to turn left from a two-way street onto a one-way street if the light is red. Even if the driver is turning left onto the highway.
7. You must sound your horn when entering Lawrence.
In order to warn horses of your arrival, you must sound your horn when you enter Lawrence city limits.